The Academy at Opry Mills
At a Glance
- Serves ages 17-21
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Does not offer before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
Hello and thank you for visiting The Academy at Opry Mills’ website. My name is Carmon Brown, and I am the executive principal at Opry Mills.
Our No. 1 goal is helping students earn their high school diploma. We have an experienced faculty and staff who have chosen to work in a non-traditional setting and serve students who need another opportunity to obtain their diploma. We offer smaller class sizes, blended learning environments and the ability to work at your own pace.
The Academy at Opry Mills knows what a difference a high school diploma makes over the course of a lifetime, both educationally and financially. I look forward to working with you as you obtain yours.
437 Opry Mills Drive
Nashville, TN 37214 (map)
How to Enroll
Students must be between the ages of 17 to 21 and in their senior year, and require 8 credits or fewer to meet graduation requirements. Students must apply to attend. There are two ways to apply:
1. Fill out an online application.
2. Come by in person and fill out an application.
The Academy at Opry Mills provides a non-traditional approach to obtaining a high-school diploma. We have flexible scheduling, a non-traditional curriculum, a diverse student body and an open campus, far removed from the traditional high-school experience. We serve students ages 17-21 who need eight or fewer core course credits to graduate from high school. The students we serve must have a strong desire to complete their high-school education, as exhibited by no history of truancy and no record of suspension of 10 or more days per school year.
The welcoming nature of the administration, faculty, staff and physical environment helps the student to feel safe in a setting that allows them to succeed. The non-traditional setting allows for individualized attention for each student. It also allows for the faculty to be very flexible with curriculum to meet the students where they are with the content.
The three academies in Nashville (Opry Mills, Hickory Hollow and Old Cockrill) have graduated more than 2,000 students. With each of those diplomas, we are lowering the dropout rate and changing the economic landscape of Nashville.
Acceptance into the Academy is not guaranteed. Approval occurs after an application and interview process. Apply now.
8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- 8:25 a.m. - MTA Bus Arrives at Food Court
- 8:30 - 11:00 a.m. - 1st Block
- 11:00 - 11:45 a.m. - Lunch
- Opry Mills is an open campus with the Food Court close by. Boxed lunches are provided for the students at no cost to them.
- 11:45 - 2:15 p.m. - 2nd Block
- 2:15 - 3:30 p.m. - Extended Hours
- Students may use this time to work on coursework for any of their classes. This time is very beneficial to either catch up or work ahead in their coursework.
- 2:27 p.m. - MTA Bus Arrives at Food Court
- 3:36 p.m. - MTA Bus Arrives at Food Court
School Details & Links
Although there is no standard school attire at The Academy, a clean, presentable appearance is expected. A presentable appearance allows our students to be prepared for job and college opportunities that may cross their paths at the Academy.
Students are not allowed to wear hats or head coverings in the building (except for religious, medical or disability purposes).
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Adult job readiness skills, e.g. resume writing
- Contact the school for current offerings.
- Simon Youth Foundation
- Oasis Center
- Opry Mills Mall