Nashville Big Picture High School
At a Glance
- Serves grades 9-12
- Hillwood Cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Does not offer bus transportation
- Does not offer before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
Welcome to Nashville Big Picture High School! Since 2007, the Nashville Big Picture High School has existed to share with students how academics and the real world come together to impact learning experiences. The Big Picture model emphasizes students at the center of learning which engages and challenges the student including making learning authentic. Students experience learning through varied methods including workshops, projects, real-world internships, field trips and community service.
We have been recognized for student projects in our school district, students have obtained internship experiences with an assortment of community partners, students have highlighted their learning through quarterly exhibitions and we’ve had a our student Cassidy M. be Nashville’s Youth Poet Laureate! We are excited to be featured in Edutopia’s Schools That Work segments online at that can be viewed at www.edutopia.org.
I invite you and your family to learn more about our unique learning environment that encourages students to pursue their passions, cultivates student academic self-awareness, as well as helping to strengthen our community through service to others. To visit our school during the School Choice timeline, please call our school at (615) 353-2081 ext. 142306 or email Kayretha.email@example.com.
160 Rural Avenue
Nashville, TN 37209 (map)
Executive Principal: Brenda Diaz
Secretary/Bookkeeper: Kay White
Secretary/Clerk: Donna Spain
Counselor/LTI Coordinator: Courtney Ivy Davis
Counselor/LTI Coordinator: Tamasa Pinkerton
School Board Representative: Amy Frogge
You can access our online application here: Apply Online
Nashville Big Picture High School is a dynamic learning environment based on three core principles:
- We believe that learning must be based on the interest background and learning style of each student.
- We believe that a student’s curriculum must be relevant to people and places that exist in the real world and that these relationships are essential to success.
- We believe a student’s mastery must be authentically measured by the quality of her or his work.
The Big Picture Learning experience builds upon Core Content and incorporates these foundational principles into a framework that helps our students discover how to learn. This framework is rooted in five Learning Goals:
- Empirical Reasoning: How do I prove it?
- Quantitative Reasoning: How do I measure, compare or represent it?
- Communication: How do I take in and express ideas?
- Social Reasoning: What are other people’s perspectives on this?
- Personal Qualities: What do I bring to this process?
Students’ learning experiences are enhanced as they explore and secure internships and other real-world experiences in the Nashville community. In addition, many students exceed the school’s course offerings by participating in dual enrollment with Nashville State Community College and Tennessee College of Applied Technology.
7:55 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
Monday, Wednesday and Friday:
- Morning: Content Area Workshops (45 minute blocks)
- RTI or Special Workshops
- Afternoon: Independent and Advisory Work Time
Tuesdays and Thursdays:
School Details & Links
Nashville Big Picture High School has been approved to opt out of standard school attire. However, a dress code is strictly enforced. Please review the NBPHS Dress Code Policy and familiarize yourself with the guidelines.
- Certificated Staff and Teacher Email List
- School One Pager
- Dress Code Policy
- Student Handbook
- Virtual Tour
- Important Dates for Seniors (Class of 2018)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- NBPHS Online Payment Link
- Accessing the ePlan Websit
- Metro Summer Internship Information
- Metro Summer Internship FAQs
- Metro Summer Internship Tips
- Metro Summer Internship Application
- Freshmen Supply List
- Supply List Translated Glossary
- Anti-bullying training and/or clubs
- Restorative Justice
- Boys' Soccer
- Cross Country
- Girls' Soccer
- Girls' Softball
- Girls' Volleyball
- Track and Field
- Book Club
- Chess Club
- Creative Writing
- Garden Club
- Student Government Association
- Wang Vision Institute
- Saint Thomas Hospital--West
- Nashville Public Library
- Nothing Bundt Cakes
- Cupcake Collection
- Nashville Humane Society
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Calvert Street Group
- Pet Resorts of America
- Shelby Bottoms Nature Center
- West Nashville Law Offices
- Juvenile Justice Center
- American Red Cross
- Centennial Medical Center
- Tennessee State University
- Goldthreate Tennis
- Oasis Bike Shop
- Harlow’s Salon
- Lipscomb University
- Pet Community Center
- Star Therapy
- Hatcher and Fell Photography
- Frist Center for Visual Arts
- Vanderbilt University
- Smart Spaces, LLC
- Pie Five
- Northwest YMCA
- Full Moon, Inc.
- Trevecca University