McGavock High School
At a Glance
- Serves grades 9-12
- McGavock Cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Does not offer before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
With honor and distinct pleasure, I welcome you to McGavock High School. We serve our community by striving to provide a unique educational experience for every student. We promote the discovery of personal meaning in each student’s chosen path, whether they’re making the decision to attend college, technical school or serve this great country.
Our success has been humbling. In 2014, we won the approval and public recognition to merit a visit from President Obama.
I hope you’ll contact me with questions, ideas or to arrange a tour of our great school. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 615-885-8850 ext. 532351. I look forward to hearing from you.
3150 McGavock Pike
Nashville, TN 37214 (map)
- Executive Principal: Robbin Wall
- Freshman Academy: Shatrina Thorps or Kodi Kimmell
- Academy of Aviation & Transportation: David Hubbell
- CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Nadia Saint-Louis
- Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance: Dr. Vincent Jones
- Aegis Sciences Corporation Academy of Life Science and Law: Tara Baker
- Principal of Curriculum and Instruction and Cambridge IGSCE Coordinator: Nae’Shara Neal
- Freshman Academy: Tameka Southern and Joel Jones
- Aegis Sciences Academy of Life Science and Law: Brent Dorris
- Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance: Yolanda Porter
- CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Marcus Hawkins
- Academy of Aviation and Transportation: William Johnson, Jr.
Athletic Director: Julius Gore
Academy Coach: Jacob Glancy
- Academy of Aviation & Transportation: Amy Levally Glancy
- CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Amanda Springer
- Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance: Chanta Hobson
- Aegis Sciences Corporation Academy of Life Science and Law: Mia Taylor
- Freshman Academy: Dr. Shameka Rush and Danielle Giles
- Sophomore Transition: Shameka Beadle Rush
School Board Representative: Anna Sheperd
McGavock was the first truly comprehensive high school built in Nashville. Our students have access to a wide, promising variety of challenging classes, Academy pathways and a superior arts program. Our faculty collaborates to adjust instruction for different learning styles so that classes can be made personal for each learner.
Our Academies give students opportunities to jump-start their careers, starting as soon as they arrive and continuing as they earn college credits and nationally recognized certifications upon graduation. Our Freshman Academy invites students to visit a college and begin thinking about their future at the career exploration fair. From there, we offer four career Academies: Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance; Academy of Aviation and Transportation; Aegis Sciences Corporation Life Science and Law; and CMT Digital Design and Communication. For added academic support, Personalized Learning Time meets daily, allowing students to receive targeted enrichment and intervention.
Our extracurricular activities are extensive and include 13 TSSAA sanctioned sports teams, band and chorus programs, a Culinary Club and our Astronomy Club (with its own planetarium), to name a few.
We are also the home of a student-run U.S. Community Credit Union branch, open to students, faculty and staff for daily banking. All students can open a savings account and those 15 years of age or older can open a checking account with a custom McGavock Raider debit card.
Each academy's advisory board welcomes parent input and involvement in their children’s education. We believe that working together is the best way to help our children succeed.
7:05 a.m. - 2:05 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
McGavock uses an A/B block schedule. Days alternately include four A classes and four B classes, so that each class meets every other day.
The regular bell schedule follows:
1A/1B: 7:05 -8:25 a.m.
2A & 2B: 9:17 - 10:37
3A & 3B: 10:43 - 12:39
1st Lunch 10:45 – 11:15
2nd Lunch 11:23– 11:53
3rd Lunch 12:09 – 12:39
Cambridge Scholar Award
Charlize Edroso, first recipient of the Cambridge Scholar Award for high marks on three+ Cambridge International assessments.
School Details & Links
All Minimum Requirements:
1. Clothing must cover areas from one armpit across to the other armpit, down to approximately 3 to 4 inches in length on the upper thighs (see images below). Tops must have shoulder straps. Rips or tears in clothing above the knee will have coverage underneath those areas.
2. Shoes must be worn at all times and should be safe for the school environments (pajamas, bedroom shoes or slippers shall not be worn, exceptions can be made for school activities approved by the Administration.)
3. See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath that meet the minimum requirements of the dress code.
4. Headgear including hats, hoodies, and caps are not allowed unless permitted for religious, medical, or other reasons by school administration.
5. Specialized courses may require specialized attire, such as sports uniforms, safety gear, or scrubs.
Anti-bullying training and/or clubs
Cheerleading / Dance
Track and Field
Dance Club Drama
Foreign Language Clubs
National Honor Society
Student Government Association
Technology Student Association
YMCA Latino Achievers
Academy of Aviation and Transportation
Contour Flight Management
Metro Nashville Airport Authority
MTSU, Department of Aerospace
Neely Coble Trucking
Tennessee Trucking Association
CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication
Ingram Express Services
Stones River National Battlefield
The Fish 94 FM
Victor Chatman Studios
WKRN News 2
Aegis Sciences Corporation Academy of Health Science and Law
Aegis Sciences Corporation
Metro Nashville Department of Emergency Communications
Metro Nashville Airport Authority, Department of Public Safety
Metro Government, Department of Human Resources
Tristar Summit Hospital
TSU Agricultural Extension
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Volunteer State Community College, Department of Health Sciences
Volunteer State Community College, Division of Criminal Justice
US Community Credit Union/Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and Finance
Nashville Airport Hilton
TSU College of Business
US Community Credit Union
Vanderbilt University Campus Dining