McGavock High School
At a Glance
- Serves grades 9-12
- McGavock Cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Does not offer before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
With honor and distinct pleasure, I welcome you to McGavock High School. We serve our community by striving to provide a unique educational experience for every student. We promote the discovery of personal meaning in each student’s chosen path, whether they’re making the decision to attend college, technical school or serve this great country.
Our success has been humbling. In 2014, we won the approval and public recognition to merit a visit from President Obama.
I hope you’ll contact me with questions, ideas or to arrange a tour of our great school. Email me at email@example.com or call 615-885-8850 ext. 532351. I look forward to hearing from you.
3150 McGavock Pike
Nashville, TN 37214 (map)
- Executive Principal: Robbin Wall
- Freshman Academy: Tara Baker or Shannon Crawford
- Academy of Aviation & Transportation: David Hubbell
- CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Jeffrey K. Kimmell
- Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance: Shatrina Thorps
- Aegis Sciences Corporation Academy of Life Science and Law: Nadia Saint-Louis
- Principal of Curriculum and Instruction and Cambridge IGSCE Coordinator: Nae’Shara Neal
- Freshman Academy: Paul Childress
- Aegis Sciences Academy of Life Science and Law: Brent Dorris
- Freshman Academy: Joel Jones
- Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance: Yolanda Porter
- CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Tameeka Southern
- Academy of Aviation and Transportation: Carmen Turner
Athletic Director: Julius Gore
Academy Coach: Jacob Glancy
- Academy of Aviation & Transportation: Amy Levally Glancy
- CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Amanda Springer
- Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance: Ashley Giddens
- Aegis Sciences Corporation Academy of Life Science and Law: Teri Deel and Mallory Thomas
- Freshman Academy: Chanta Hobson and Mia Jones-Taylor
- Sophomore Transition: Shameka Beadle Rush
School Board Representative: Anna Sheperd
McGavock was the first truly comprehensive high school built in Nashville. Our students have access to a wide, promising variety of challenging classes, Academy pathways and a superior arts program. Our faculty collaborates to adjust instruction for different learning styles so that classes can be made personal for each learner.
Our Academies give students opportunities to jump-start their careers, starting as soon as they arrive and continuing as they earn college credits and nationally recognized certifications upon graduation. Our Freshman Academy invites students to visit a college and begin thinking about their future at the career exploration fair. From there, we offer four career Academies: Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and US Community Credit Union Academy of Business and Finance; Academy of Aviation and Transportation; Aegis Sciences Corporation Life Science and Law; and CMT Digital Design and Communication. For added academic support, Personalized Learning Time meets daily, allowing students to receive targeted enrichment and intervention.
Our extracurricular activities are extensive and include 13 TSSAA sanctioned sports teams, band and chorus programs, a Culinary Club and our Astronomy Club (with its own planetarium), to name a few.
We are also the home of a student-run U.S. Community Credit Union branch, open to students, faculty and staff for daily banking. All students can open a savings account and those 15 years of age or older can open a checking account with a custom McGavock Raider debit card.
Each academy's advisory board welcomes parent input and involvement in their children’s education. We believe that working together is the best way to help our children succeed.
7:05 a.m. - 2:05 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
McGavock uses an A/B block schedule. Days alternately include four A classes and four B classes, so that each class meets every other day.
The regular bell schedule follows:
- 1A/1B: 7:05 - 8:17 a.m.
- 2A/2B: 8:23 - 9:35 a.m.
- PLT: 9:41 a.m. - 10:21
- 3A/3B 10:27 a.m. - 12:47 p.m. (this period is longer because there are four lunch periods and a 30-minute study hall)
- 4A/4B: 12:53 - 2:05 p.m.
School Details & Links
All pants, shorts, capri pants, skirts or jeans can be any design or color. NO HOLES in these items are allowed- this includes holes with fabric underneath. NO HOLES in pants at all.
- Skorts, skirts or shorts must be knee length.
- No pajamas or house-shoes are to be worn at school
- All blouses and shirts should be properly buttoned and must cover appropriate body parts. . No see through clothing, mid -riff baring clothes, cut off sleeves, spaghetti straps, or excessively low cut tops.
- T-Shirts or collared shirts can be worn and can be any color or have any design that does not have inappropriate language, advertising, or suggestive commentary
- Leggings can be worn WITH a top that goes to student’s mid-thigh
- No hats or hoodies ON HEADS
- Certificated Staff and Teacher Email List
- School One Pager
- Student Pick-up and Drop-off Procedures
- McGavock Dress Code Policy
- Discipline Action Plan
- Cambridge AICE Diploma Factsheet
- McGavock Information Sheet
- Parent Involvement Policy
- Savings Plan
- Parent-School Compact Policy
- Student-Parent Handbook
- Accessing the ePlan Website
- Online School Payments
- Supply List Translated Glossary
- Summer Athletic Schedule
- AP Lit Summer Reading List
- AICE English III Summer Reading List
- AICE Summer Assignment A Level Lit & Global Perspectives
- AICE Summer Writing Assignment
- School Supply Lists
- STARS counseling
- Anti-bullying training and/or clubs
- Boys' Soccer
- Cheerleading / Dance
- Cross Country
- Girls' Soccer
- Girls' Softball
- Girls' Volleyball
- Track and Field
- Anime Club
- Best Buddies
- Book Club
- Color Guard
- Dance Club Drama
- Foreign Language Clubs
- Intramural Sports
- Leading Ladies
- Math Club
National Honor Society
- Quiz Bowl
- Science Club
- Skills USA
- Student Government Association
- Technology Student Association
- YMCA Latino Achievers
Academy of Aviation and Transportation
- Nashville International Airport
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology
- Triumph Aerostructures
CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication
- Stones River Battlefield
- Volunteer State Community College
Aegis Sciences Corporation Academy of Health Science and Law
- Aegis Sciences Corporation
- Summit Medical Center
- TN Justice Center
- Nashville International Airport
- Volunteer State Community College
- Attorney General's Office
- TSU College of Agriculture
- Flatt Rock Farms
US Community Credit Union/Gaylord Opryland Academy of Hospitality and Finance
- Gaylord Opryland
- US Community Credit Union
- TSU College of Business
- Cedarstone Bank
- Entrepreneur Center
- The General