McGavock Elementary School
At a Glance
- Serves grades Pre-K - 4
- McGavock Cluster
- Not Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Offers before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
Welcome to McGavock Elementary School, home of the STARS! We are a neighborhood school serving a diverse population of students within the Donelson Community. We pride ourselves on building strong community partnerships, encouraging parental involvement and creating an atmosphere that is welcoming and supportive.
Our faculty and staff is very passionate about providing an environment that is academically enriching, engaging and safe for all of our students. We encourage you to come and visit our family-oriented school. We look forward to seeing you!
Our motto is Together We Shine!
Our mission at McGavock Elementary is to create a place where ALL can achieve their highest level of learning.
Our vision at McGavock Elementary is to provide an education where ALL excel
McGavock Elementary is a small neighborhood school where our faculty and staff care about our students’ success, now and throughout life. In fact, our mission is to create a place where all students can achieve their highest level of learning. After all, stars are our mascot! And our motto reminds us daily that Together We Shine. We embrace our diversity, working alongside our community partners to help all of our students achieve both emotionally and academically.
Our educational program is structured to meet our Pre-K - 4 students’ needs. Days begin with breakfast in the classroom, followed by social and emotional learning, then enrichment and intervention, when kids receive specific help with math and English. Balanced math and literacy programs build the concepts of literature and mathematics in a way that creates meaning for the students. We also offer hands-on science and blended learning, meaning multiple mediums are offered and students can be more involved in how they learn and experience their lessons. The Nashville Institute for the Arts ArtSmart program rounds out our curriculum.
Tutoring is offered throughout the school week, and the school’s library uses an open checkout policy to encourage and increase library usage and reading. Finally, small-group instruction is provided for many of our ELL students, and Triple A Achievers and Encore programs support and encourage high-achieving and gifted students.
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- Breakfast is in the classrooms and announcements are finished by 8:05 so that the educational day can begin in a timely manner
- 15 minutes: Social Emotional Learning
- 30 minutes: Enrichment and Intervention.
- 75 minutes: Balanced Literacy
- 75 minutes: Science/Social Studies
- 75 minutes: Math instruction
- 60 minutes: Related Arts (Music, Art, & Physical Education)
- 60 minutes for Lunch and Recess
School Details & Links
Standard School Attire (SSA)
Tops: With short or long sleeves and a collar in any solid color
Bottoms: Navy, black or khaki; 3rd and 4th grade students must wear a belt when wearing pants; a belt is optional for students Pre-K through 2nd grade
See McGavock Elementary Dress Code Policy for more information.
- Certificated Staff and Teacher Email List
- School One Pager
- Drop Off and Pick Up
- Dress Code Policy
- Student-Parent Handbook
- Accessing the ePlan Website
- Parent Compact
- Parent Compact - Spanish
- Parent Compact - Arabic
- Parent Compact - Somali
- Parent Compact - Kinyarwanda
- Parent Involvement Policy
- Parent Involvement Policy - Spanish
- Parent Involvement Policy - Arabic
- Parent Involvement Policy - Somali
- Parent Involvement Policy - Kinyarwanda
- 2017-18 Assessment Calendar
- Pre-K Supply List
- Pre-K Supply List (Spanish)
- Kindergarten Supply List
- Kindergarten Supply List (Spanish)
- 1st Grade Supply List
- 1st Grade Supply List (Spanish)
- 2nd Grade Supply List
- 2nd Grade Supply List (Spanish)
- 3rd Grade Supply List
- 3rd Grade Supply List (Spanish)
- 4th Grade Supply List
- 4th Grade Supply List (Spanish)
- Supply List Translated Glossary
- Annual Meeting Minutes
- Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
- Before and aftercare
YMCA: 615-883-9707 or 615-885-8912
- Family Resource Center
- GED Classes
- Parent training classes
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Anti-bullying training and/or clubs
- Book Club
- Girl Scouts
- Boy Scouts
- Donelson Church of Christ
- Wilson Bank and Trust
- Change Healthcare (formerly Emdeon)
- Opry Mills
- Rainforest Café