Hickman Elementary School
At a Glance
- Serves grades Pre-K - 4
- McGavock Cluster
- Not Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Offers before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
Welcome to Hickman Elementary! We believe that parents and teachers working together are the key to creating competent, well-rounded, responsible and confident learners.
We strongly believe in and support the potential of every student. We love to watch kids learn and grow, and we feel privileged to be part of our students’ lives.
Hand in hand, we are actively working together for our kids’ successes!
A neighborhood school in the Donelson area, Hickman Elementary serves a richly diverse population reflecting our community. We are dedicated to serving our students through teacher collaboration, personalized learning and classroom engagement. Our school provides support and resources to meet the needs of all students, including Encore for gifted and talented students, and English Learner services for students and families who primarily speak another language.
A robust related arts program features choir and drama, which routinely hold performances in the community. In addition, students participate in technology classes, which help them learn how to use the computer and hone their typing skills. Blended learning opportunities are available throughout the school, and we offer after-school tutoring to students in need. In conjunction with our Limitless Libraries program, our full-time librarian and library assistant help provide our students access to a large library collection.
The school’s unique location on the same campus as Donelson Middle Prep makes Hickman Elementary a convenient choice for families with multiple students. Its shared campus also facilitates a smooth transition into middle school. Hickman has an inner courtyard, accessible only from inside the school, that features raised garden beds where our students grow fruits and vegetables. Classes and teachers can enjoy the area by having a picnic outside, while students in Pre-K use this as a safe area to ride play equipment. Some of the fruits and vegetables grown in the garden even make it into school lunches.
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- Breakfast in the classroom with their peers
- Morning announcements and classroom meetings
- Literacy, Math, Science and Social Studies blocks
- Response to Intervention, where students work with peers at their assessed level
- Related Arts: Technology, Physical Education, Music, Art and Drama
School Details & Links
All students must be neatly groomed and follow the dress code every day. Notice of any special dress code exceptions will be communicated in advance to students and parents in writing. Please familiarize yourself with the Hickman Elementary Dress Code Policy.
- Certificated Staff and Teacher Email List
- 2018-19 School One-Pager
- Dress Code Policy
- Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures
- Supply Lists
- Hickman Family Handbook
- August Parent Newsletter
- Accessing the ePlan Website
- Parent Involvement Policy
- Family School Compact - Kindergarten
- Family School Compact - 1st Grade
- Family School Compact - 2nd Grade
- Family School Compact - 3rd Grade
- Family School Compact - 4th Grade
- Back to School Bash
- Supply List Translated Glossary
- October Parent Newsletter
- School Supply Lists
- Back to School Event
- Boy Scouts
- Girl Scouts
- Hermitage Lions Club
- Wilson County Bank and Trust
- Donelson-Hermitage Senior Center FLIP Program
- Kroger Donelson
- The River Church Donelson
- Donelson Hermitage Chamber of Commerce
- Andrew Price United Methodist Church