Haynes Middle Health/Medical Science Design Center
At a Glance
- Serves grades 5-8
- Whites Creek cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Offers aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
Welcome to Haynes Middle Health/Medical Science Design Center! It is my pleasure and honor to serve the students, families and community. It is my vision to prepare students for success through a dual lens: academic press and social and emotional learning. As your child moves through the school year, you will hear more about these concepts.
The vision of Haynes is to inspire students to take academic ownership while providing a pathway to the Health & Medical Science field, as we nurture them as a whole for success in life. With Haynes Middle being the only health/medical science design center in Metro Nashville Public Schools, we actively participate with Meharry Medical College in bridging the paths of school and career. This union with our students and Meharry Medical College provide our students with real-world and practical experiences.
Your teachers are also dedicated to the success of your child and will support him/her inside the classroom, outside the classroom and all extra-curricular activities. We are looking forward to a productive school year with you as a key component of the success.
510 West Trinity Lane
Nashville, TN 37207 (map)
Haynes Principal: Dr. Iris Olige
Assistant Principal: Andres Rischer
Dean of Instruction: Dr. Victoria Shields
Literacy Teacher Development Specialist: Candra Clariette
School Counselor: Milton Moore
Family Involvement Specialist: Roshanda Newsum
School Board Representative: Sharon Gentry
Haynes Middle Health/Medical Science Design Center is a small learning community that provides a core exploration in Health and Medical Science in a Paideia learning environment. At Haynes, which is a pathway to East Nashville Magnet, we blend a liberal arts focus with health and medical science electives in a holistic and rigorous curriculum that prepares all students for high school and post-secondary education.
The hallmark of our school is the unique ability for our students to explore future science and medical careers as part of their school experience. We are the only middle school in MNPS with a health and medical focus, and through active partnerships with Vanderbilt University, Meharry Medical College and School of Dentistry, Fisk University and Tennessee State University, to name a few, our students have access to real-world and practical experiences in these important, high-wage fields.
In addition, Haynes offers two high-school credit classes—Algebra I and Physical Science—and a range of related arts classes, including band, world percussion, art, health/medical science and physical education.
7:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- Day begins at 7:45 a.m., with Advisory, a brief period where connections are made between students and teachers.
- Academic classes are taught in 90-minute blocks.
- Related Arts classes are taught in 90-minute blocks with weekly rotations (band classes are year-long).
- Response to Instruction and Intervention (RTI2) is 12:30-1:30 p.m. each day. Students use this time to gain remedial or enrichment instruction, as indicated by regular assessments.
- Dismissal is at 2:45 p.m.
Haynes Middle School is one of our STEAM middle schools. At Haynes students use STEAM, science technology, engineering, arts and math as access points to the 4Cs (critical thinking, communication, creativity and collaboration). This empowers our students to better understand how their skills fit into our complex world. Learn more about STEAM in MNPS here: mnps.org/steam
School Details & Links
Tops: Solid red, black, white or gray; must have a collar and either short or long sleeves.
Bottoms: Solid black, navy or khaki; length must be lower than fingertips when standing.
For additional guidelines, please see the Dress Code Policy.
- Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO)
- Aftercare provided by Nashville After Zone Alliance (NAZA)
- Hours: 2:45 - 5 p.m.
- Apply: Applications are available in the Main Office and students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- More information: www.nashvillez.org
- Boys and Girls Basketball
- Boys and Girls Soccer
- Boys and Girls Track
- Co-Ed Cheerleading
- Wildcat Dance Team
- Lunch Bunch
- Library Media & Limitless Library
- Wildcat Saturday Academy
- Student Council
- Leadership Council
- B2M Prep Society for Guys Only
- Student Ambassadors
- HM2 Med Journal Publication
- Book Club
- Haynes C.H.A.R.M.S. for Girls Only
- NAZA Afterschool Enrichment Programs
- English Language Learners (ELL)
- Medical Health & Science - Club Haynes
- Haynes Parent Resource Center
- Triple “A” Tutoring
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc./Upsilon Psi Omega Chapter
- Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
- Metro Hospital Authority
- Fifth Third Bank
- American Red Cross
- Sam’s Club (Hendersonville)
- Health Springs
- Mobile Market
- Haynes High Alumni Association
- Meharry-Vanderbilt Student Alliance
- Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- Tennessee Hospital Association