Cockrill Elementary School
At a Glance
- Serves grades Pre-K - 4
- Pearl Cohn cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Offers on-site before and aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
We’re thrilled to welcome you to Cockrill Elementary. Our motto is “Cockrill Cougars Can,” and we work hard every day to ensure that our students are central to everything we do. Every staff member here believes that a superior education is the foundation for a successful life, and our mission is to provide positive encouragement, guidance and support for all students to reach their highest potential. To make that happen, our caring staff, supportive parents and generous community partners work as a family to help our students become lifelong learners.
Located in the heart of The Nations, Cockrill Elementary School reflects the namesake of its neighborhood. Our caring, child-centered atmosphere serves as a welcoming haven to our diverse population of learners and their families. As an enhanced option elementary school, we offer many programs that are unique to Cockrill, including an extended school day, breakfast in the classroom and on-site before and aftercare.
We are also unique in that we are willing to go the extra mile to support students in traditional and non-traditional styles. Our staff works together to ensure that every child is provided the best learning and social-emotional opportunities that can be offered, such as great academics, project-based learning, numerous blended learning opportunities and access to state-of-the-art technology.
We also care about our families and our neighbors, which is why Cockrill boasts a Family Resource Center, in addition to a number of other support services.
7:45 a.m. - 3:40 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- Doors open at 7:45 a.m., and breakfast is served in classrooms. Students are considered “on time” if they arrive before 8 a.m.
- Academics begin at 8 a.m.
- Reading and language
- Math, science and social studies
- Response to Instruction and Intervention (RTI2)
- Project-based learning (PBL)
- Related arts: art, music, physical education (PE), computer
- Dismissal begins at 3:40 p.m.
School Details & Links
Standard School Attire
Bottoms: Navy blue, black or khaki
Tops: Collared shirts with sleeves in any solid color; all shirts should be properly buttoned and sized.
Shoes: Sneakers are preferred for PE and recess.
On-site before and aftercare
Project for Neighborhood Aftercare (PNA), 615- 364-2112
Family Resource Center
English language classes
Parent training classes
- Chess club
- Brentwood United Methodist Church
- New Heights Christian Services
- Partnership Neighborhood Aftercare (PNA)
- Preston Taylor Ministries
- Youth Life
- New Heights
- Members of Westminster Presbyterian Church
- Tennessee State University
- 61st Avenue Methodist Church
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology (TCAT)
In addition, Cockrill Elementary is proud to partner with the PENCIL Foundation, a nonprofit that links community resources with Nashville public schools. Thank you to these generous PENCIL Partners, who volunteer time and donate resources that promote student success at Cockrill:
- Kroger (Charlotte Pike)
- Westminster Presbyterian Church