McGavock High School
At a Glance
- Serves grades 9-12
- McGavock Cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Does not offer before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
With honor and distinct pleasure, I welcome you to McGavock High School. We serve our community by striving to provide a unique educational experience for every student. We promote the discovery of personal meaning in each student’s chosen path, whether they’re making the decision to attend college, technical school or serve this great country.
Our success has been humbling. In 2015, we won the approval and public recognition to merit a visit from President Obama.
I hope you’ll contact me with questions, ideas or to arrange a tour of our great school. Email me at email@example.com or call 615-885-8850 ext. 812351. I look forward to hearing from you.
3150 McGavock Pike
Nashville, TN 37214 (map)
- Executive Principal: Robbin Wall
- Freshman Academy: Tara Baker or Nadia Saint-Louis
- Academy of Aviation & Transportation: David Hubbell
- Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Jeffrey K. Kimmell
- Academy of Hospitality and Finance: Dr. Laura L. Morin
- Academy of Life Science and Law: Shannon Crawford
- Principal of Curriculum and Instruction and Cambridge IGSCE Coordinator: Nae’Shara Neal
Athletic Director: Julius Gore
Academy Coach: Jacob Glancy
- Academy of Aviation & Transportation: Amy Levally Glancy
- Academy of Digital Design and Communication: Amanda Springer
- Academy of Hospitality and Finance: Ashley Giddens
- Academy of Life Science and Law: Teri Deel and Mallory Thomas
- Freshman Academy: Shemeka Beadle-Rush and Mia Jones-Taylor
School Board Representative: Anna Sheperd
McGavock was the first truly comprehensive high school built in Nashville. Our students have access to a wide, promising variety of challenging classes, Academy pathways and a superior arts program. Our faculty collaborates to adjust instruction for different learning styles so that classes can be made personal for each learner.
Our Academies give students opportunities to jump-start their careers, starting as soon as they arrive and continuing as they earn college credits and nationally recognized certifications upon graduation. Our Freshman Academy invites students to visit a college and begin thinking about their future at the career exploration fair. From there, we offer four career Academies: Hospitality and Finance; Aviation and Transportation; Life Science and Law; and Digital Design and Communication. For added academic support, Raider Nation is an advisory class that meets three times each week, allowing students and teachers to gather for academic counseling and study hall.
Our extracurricular activities are extensive and include 13 TSSAA sanctioned sports teams, band and chorus programs, a Culinary Club and our Astronomy Club (with its own planetarium), to name a few.
We are also the home of the student-run U.S. Community Credit Union branch, open to students, faculty and staff for daily banking. All students can open a savings account and those 15 years of age or older can open a checking account with a custom McGavock Raider debit card.
Our school advisory council welcomes parent input and involvement in their children’s education. We believe that working together is the best way to help our children succeed.
7:05 a.m. - 2:05 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
McGavock uses an A/B block schedule. Days alternately include four A classes and four B classes, so that each class meets every other day for approximately 90 minutes of in-depth learning.
The regular bell schedule without Raider Nation follows:
- 1A/1B: 7:05 - 8:30 a.m.
- 2A/2B: 8:36 - 10:01 a.m.
- 3A/3B 10:07 a.m. - 12:34 p.m. (this period is longer because there are four lunch periods and a 30-minute study hall)
- 4A/4B: 12:40 - 2:05 p.m.
School Details & Links
- All pants, shorts, capri pants, skirts or jeans can be any design or color. “NO HOLES !”
- Shorts, skirts, skorts, and dresses “MUST” all be knee length
- No sweat pants, pajamas, or house-shoes are to be worn at school
- All blouses and shirts should be properly buttoned and must cover appropriate body parts /
- No tank tops, see-through tops, spaghetti straps, or bare shoulder tops (no cleavage).
- T-Shirts or collared shirts can be worn and can be any color or have any design that does not have
- Inappropriate language, advertising, or suggestive commentary
- “NO HATS” & “NO HOODIES” of any kind enter the building and when collected can only be picked up after school in Academy Principals office
- Absolutely “NO LEGGINGS, TIGHTS, or JEGGINGS” are to be worn without knee length cover (dress, skirt, shorts).
- Certificated Staff and Teacher Email List
- Student Pick-up and Drop-off Procedures
- McGavock Dress Code Policy
- Discipline Action Plan
- Cambridge AICE Diploma Factsheet
- McGavock Information Sheet
- Parent Involvement Policy
- Savings Plan
- Parent-School Compact Policy
- Student-Parent Handbook
- Accessing the ePlan Website
- Online School Payments
- STARS counseling
- Anti-bullying training and/or clubs
- Boys' Soccer
- Cheerleading / Dance
- Cross Country
- Girls' Soccer
- Girls' Softball
- Girls' Volleyball
- Track and Field
- Anime Club
- Best Buddies
- Book Club
- Color Guard
- Dance Club Drama
- Foreign Language Clubs
- Intramural Sports
- Leading Ladies
- Math Club
National Honor Society
- Quiz Bowl
- Science Club
- Skills USA
- Student Government Association
- Technology Student Association
- YMCA Latino Achievers
Academy of Aviation and Transportation
- Nashville International Airport
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology
- Triumph Aerostructures
CMT Academy of Digital Design and Communication
- Stones River Battlefield
- Volunteer State Community College
- The JumpStart Agency
Aegis Sciences Corporation Academy of Health Science and Law
- Aegis Sciences Corporation
- Summit Medical Center
- TN Justice Center
- Nashville International Airport
- Vol State
- Attorney General's Office
- TSU College of Agriculture
- Flatt Rock Farms
US Community Credit Union/Gaylord Entertainment Academy of Hospitality and Finance
- Gaylord Opryland
- Holiday Inn Opryland-Airport (IHG)
- US Community Credit Union
- TSU College of Business
- Cedarstone Bank
- Entrepreneur Center
- The General