Johnson Alternative Learning Center / MNPS Middle
At a Glance
- Serves grades 5-12
- Glencliff Cluster
- Not Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Offers before or aftercare
Welcome to Our School
Hello, parents and students. Welcome to Johnson Alternative Learning Center and MNPS Middle School, where we provide an opportunity for students who would otherwise be excluded due to expulsion from school to continue their educational experience.
It’s our goal to ensure all students complete the academic requirements to prepare for the transition back to their assigned school. Our curriculum places an emphasis on collaboration, communication, critical thinking and creativity, while our faculty and staff provide a structured, supportive learning environment that is beneficial to each student, no matter their learning style.
When and if your middle or high-school student needs us, we’ll be here, ready to help them succeed.
1200 2nd Avenue S
Nashville, TN 37210 (map)
Executive Principal: Dr. Sharon Braden
Asst. Principal MNPS Middle: Albert Holloway III
Program Assistant Johnson Learning Center: Tracee Gaddy
School Board Representative: Christiane Buggs
At Johnson Alternative Learning Center and MNPS Middle, we focus on academic excellence and maintaining a positive school environment. Students in grades 5-12 are served from six weeks to one calendar year, depending on the circumstances of their expulsion. Our priority is to assist your child with the necessary skills to be prepared for high school and beyond. Programs like art, music, choir and restorative learning help to enrich our students’ days alongside traditional core academic subjects—our students even have access to the Academies of Nashville.
We are a STEM school focused on the sciences and hands-on math. Health science, literature and art round out our academic offerings. We practice blended learning, which exposes students to both digital and traditional methods of teaching. Our students also participate in project-based learning, working for longer periods of time on engaging and complex questions, problems or challenges.
In addition to art, music and choir, other extracurricular options allow our students to explore many interests outside of academics, including gardening, creative writing, books, the culinary world and the opportunity to help with the school newspaper.
Our small learning environment means that every teacher here takes an individualized approach, remaining focused on the needs of their students. Social and emotional learning are emphasized, while restorative justice teaches more peaceful conflict resolution. One of our favorite success stories every year is when our senior students are able to recover enough credits to graduate and participate in an individualized, family-centered graduation ceremony.
We offer a family resource center, English language classes and a clothing closet, all to help support our community and families.
High school: 7:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Middle school: 8:55 a.m. - 3:55 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- High School: 5 Periods of Academic Focus with Restorative Practices & Social Emotional Learning
- Middle School: 6 Periods of Academic Focus with Restorative Practices & Social Emotional Learning
School Details & Links
- Family Resource Center
- English Language classes
- Clothing Closet
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Anti-bullying training and/or clubs
- Restorative Justice
- Book Club
- Creative Writing
- Garden Club
- American Baptist College – Legendary Lambda Mu Chapter
- Bethlehem Centers of Nashville
- Boy Scouts of America of Providence Baptist Church
- Brentwood Hills Church of Christ
- Buck Institute of Education
- Davidson County Sherriff’s Department
- Hands On Nashville
- Metro Beautification and Environment Commission
- Metropolitan Nashville Police
- Oasis Center
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- PENCIL Foundation
- TN Department of Environment & Conservation (TDEC)
- Tennessee Women in Green (TWIG)
- Trevecca University
- Trevecca Community Church
- UT College Extension Program
- Urban Green Lab
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Vanderbilt University