Hillsboro High School
At a Glance
- Serves grades 9-12
- Hillsboro Cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Does not offer before or aftercare
Welcome From the Principal
Welcome to Hillsboro High School! I am proud to help continue our traditions of excellence while looking for new opportunities for all students to excel. This past year marked several important milestones for our school: We received our AdvanceEd accreditation, opened a student-run credit union, saw our first academy receive national recognition at the “model” status, and gained approval for a new campus.
Our IB programs continue to excel and have drawn record numbers of students for the 2016-17 school year. The K-12 pathway for IB is more rigorous than ever and growing every day. Our Arts programs continue to win awards at the highest levels, and our athletics continue to be among the top in our state. It is a great time to be a Burro!
I look forward to seeing you all on our campus in the near future!
3812 Hillsboro Road
Nashville, TN 37215 (map)
Executive Principal: Dr. Shuler Pelham
Academy Principal, IBDP: Dr. Kenyae Reese
Academy Principal, USCCUAIBC: Melissa Hankreader
Academy Principal, AGHS: Dr. Kawonia Mull
Academy Principal, Freshmen Academy: Eric Arteberry
Academy Coach: Melissa Wrenne
IB Coordinator: Missy Humphry
Dean of Students: Amy Cate
Athletic Director: Andrew Bello
School Board Representative: Mary Pierce
Hillsboro High School has a long tradition of being the highest achieving zone school in Nashville, and one of the top performing zone schools in Tennessee. Students have the opportunity to participate in world-class academic, arts and athletic programs.
Hillsboro is unique as both an IB World School and an Academy School. Hillsboro offers three different IB programs: the Diploma Programme, Middle Years Programme and the Career Certificate Programme. IB offers advanced academics that prepare students for the rigor of the most elite universities, and it’s open and accessible to all students who choose to participate. In addition to the IB Diploma program, we offer two career academies at Hillsboro: the Academy of Global Health & Science and the Academy of International Business & Communication. These academy programs give students the opportunity to choose their course of study and learn in the context of real-world occupations through business and community partnerships. Partners include Southwest Airlines. Disney Destinations, US Community Credit Union (students have the opportunity to work in an on-campus credit union) and Vanderbilt University, which provides access to world-class scientists for our interdisciplinary science and research program.
Other academic programs include a STEM focus, Advanced Placement classes, blended learning, which combines traditional classroom instruction with technology-enabled, student-guided lessons, and the college readiness program AVID.
Finally, Hillsboro's commitment to excellence in both the arts and athletics help provide wraparound extra-curricular opportunities that are among the best in our state. As an open-enrollment school, we have students from across Nashville enrolled in Hillsboro. Our students come together to form a society that is inclusive and supportive—one that challenges all students to be their best.
Hillsboro was recently approved for an $80 million campus improvement project. This will include new construction on our existing campus along with renovations to existing buildings. Construction is expected to begin in summer 2017.
7:05 a.m. - 2:05 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- Hillsboro High School is on an 8-period A/B block schedule.
- Students take 4 classes every day, alternating between A day and B day.
- All students attend a 40-minute advisory period every day.
- All 9th graders receive Response to Instruction and Intervention (RTI2) during advisory.
- 10th graders participate in our IB Middle Years Programme Personal Projects during advisory period
- 11th and 12th graders have more personalized advisory depending on their pathway and status of credits
School Details & Links
Head coverings cannot be worn.
All garments must not contain tears, holes or inappropriate content.
Tops must cover shoulders, chest and midriff.
Bottoms must be worn at the waist, extend to the fingertips, and cannot be tights or pajamas.
- Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO)
President: Suriva Fischer
Meets third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. in library
Sign up for listserv
- To schedule a tour, please click here: wearehillsboro.com
- Food Bank
- Clothing Closet
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Restorative Justice
- Boys' Soccer
- Cheerleading / Dance
- Cross Country
- Girls' Soccer
- Girls' Softball
- Girls' Volleyball
- Track and Field
- Anime Club
- Beta Club
- Book Club
- Color Guard
- Foreign Language Clubs
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- Intramural Sports
- Math Club
- National Honor Society
- Science Club
- Special Olympics
- Student Government Association
Academy of Global Health and Science
- American Red Cross
- Belmont University College of Pharmacy
- Blakeford at Green Hills
- Specialty Care
- TN Army National Guard
- Tennessee State University College of Health Sciences
- Vanderbilt Center for Science Outreach
Academy of International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Center for Applied Second Language Studies, Univ. of Oregon
- FedEx (Chamber West)
- Fischer Property Group, Keller Williams Realty
- Green Hills Family YMCA
- Hampton Inn & Suites - Green Hills (Chamber West)
- Nashville Shakespeare Festival
- Ten Thousand Villages of Nashville
- The Mall at Green Hills (Chamber West)
- Vanderbilt Center for Latin American Studies
US Community Credit Union Academy of International Business and Communication
- Averitt Express
- Belcourt Theatre
- Belmont University Center for International Business
- Confucius Institute of University of Memphis
- Council for Supply Chain Management
- Disney Destinations
- Ingram Content Group
- Junior Achievement of Middle TN
- Liberty Mutual
- Nashville State Community College
- Reflections Media
- Rock the Street, Wall Street
- Southwest Airlines
- Tennessee State University Communications Department
- Tennessee State University Supply Chain Management Program
- US Community Credit Union