Eakin Elementary School
At a Glance
- Serves grades K-4
- Hillsboro Cluster
- Open Enrollment
- Offers bus transportation
- Offers before or aftercare
Welcome to Our School
Welcome to Eakin Elementary. It is an honor and a privilege to serve as principal as we seek to continue our distinguished and rich history of meeting the needs of all families here in the Eakin community. I am humbled to lead our community in the endeavor to commit ourselves to "lifelong learning, serving and growing."
Not only am I the principal, but I am also a parent of one of our beloved Eakin Eagles. To that end, I am tirelessly committed to assuring each and every student has an opportunity to reach his or her own potential to be the best version of themselves. My job is to love our community in word and deed and I look forward to continuing this effort as we serve our students and families.
2500 Fairfax Avenue
Nashville, TN 37212 (map)
Principal: Timothy Drinkwine, Ed.D.
Assistant Principal: Mary Holland, Ed.D.
Front Office Secretary/Bookkeeper: Ms. Diane
School Counselor: Janna Ramsey
School Counselor: Lisa Stewart
School Board Representative: Mary Pierce
Eakin has a rich history of excellence dating back to 1928. Whether it is meeting the needs of families through our food pantry, differentiating teaching methods for a variety of unique learning styles or facilitating students to meet their fullest potential, Eakin exceeds expectations and truly does "Give You the World."
As an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, Eakin uses an inquiry-based curriculum designed to foster intercultural understanding and respect through the study of six themes: who we are, sharing the planet, how we express ourselves, how the world works, how we organize ourselves; and where we are in place and time. Eakin received IB certification in the spring of 2012, and our students are a part of one of the only school systems nationwide to offer IB education from kindergarten to 12th grade. West End Middle School and Hillsboro High School also offer IB programmes.
In addition to the IB programme, Eakin offers blended learning, which combines traditional classroom instruction with digital learning. We also have the Encore program to support gifted and talented learners. One more thing that makes Eakin unique is our program for deaf and hard of hearing students, which serves learners from across the district.
Eakin's students represent many different countries and make up one of the most diverse elementary school populations in the state. Our students speak more than 20 languages and represent over 40 countries. There is a rich diversity of cultures, races, languages and socio-economic levels. This diversity has led the school through the best times in its history and also has presented it with its most difficult challenges. The challenges have been met with grit and tenacity and the community addresses each challenge with a desire to overcome. These traits make Eakin a unique and special place to learn, teach and serve.
Located in Hillsboro Village, Eakin stands on a 9.3 acre property in the center of one of Nashville's oldest urban neighborhoods. In 2006, a $9.7 million renovation added a new academic wing to the 1928 historic Cavert School building. This state-of-the-art facility includes a computer lab, 9,500-volume modern library, gymnasium, art studio, music room, auditorium, cafeteria, two playgrounds, a sports field and a dedicated extended care wing.
7:45 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
A Typical Day at School
- Doors open at 7:30 a.m.
- Each grade level participates in a variety of related arts classes each day, including Art, Music, PE, Health, Instructional Technology, Foreign Language and Social Emotional Learning.
- All our students participate in at least 20 minutes of recess per day.
- All students receive a 30-minute lunch in our cafeteria and our nutritious breakfast and lunch are served at no cost daily.
- In addition to Math, Science, Social Studies and English Language Arts in an International Baccalaureate method of learning, we also offer 45 minutes of personalized learning each day via iTime class as a part of Response to Intervention (RtI).
School Details & Links
Shirts: With collar in any solid color. Fridays are Eakin Spirit Days and students may wear Eakin T-shirts.
Bottoms: Dresses, Shorts, Capris and Pants must be Khaki, Navy or Black. Denim is not allowed. Third and 4th graders with belt loops are expected to wear a belt. Sagging is not allowed.
Footwear: Appropriate footwear for playgrounds and physical education should be worn daily.
Outerwear: Solid-colored sweaters or jackets without hoods are allowed. Heavy coats and hoodies will be placed in student lockers.
- Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
- Before and aftercare
Eakin Care Program (ECP)
Eakin at Harris Hillman (EHH)
Boys and Girls Club of America
Andrew Jackson Center
- Food Bank
- English Language classes
- Clothing Closet
- Parent training classes
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Anti-bullying training and/or clubs
- Restorative Justice
- MNPS Reading Clinic
- Reading Recovery
- After-School Tutoring
- English Language services
- Mental Health support: small group counseling opportunities for students who need extra support including: Divorce Care for students whose parents are recently divorced or going through a separation; Cool Kids for students who need help learning to cool their anger and managing their emotions; Making Friends, Keeping Friends for students who exhibit bullying or aggressive behavior; Bridges for students who demonstrate high levels of anxiety and worry; and Resolutions for students who need help resolving conflicts amicably.
- Chess Club
- Foreign Language Clubs
- Garden Club
- Girls on the Run
- Math Club
- Music City Kids Marathon
- Music Makes Us
- Science Club
- Student Government Association
- More after school clubs found here
- FedEx Office – Hillsboro
- First Tennessee Bank – 21st Ave. Branch
- Pancake Pantry
- Starbucks – West End Ave.
- Double Dogs
- Other Community Partners:
- West End United Methodist
- Crossroads Community Church
- Ethos Church
- Trinity Church
- Belmont Heights Church
- Echo Church